Monday, March 14, 2016

Getting For vs Giving From

I recently heard a comedian named Michael Jr. speaking on a radio program. He said something that really caught my attention ~ "Instead of asking what can I get for myself, ask what I can give from myself". For the past couple of days, I've pondered that, wondering what can I give from myself.

I find joy in giving gifts to others though it's not always without struggle and stress. I've struggled with trying to come up with the perfect gift for someone who is difficult to shop for. The stress of finding just the right gift in just the right price range for my budget. Hoping that the person really REALLY likes it. Wondering if it's the right color, the right size, the right everything. Will the person use it, wear it, return it? Sound familiar?

Maybe it's not tangible gifts that are most wanted, needed, appreciated, used. Like Michael Jr. said, maybe I should ask myself what can I give.

I realize that I can give many things from myself. My time...my attention...my ability to really listen to what someone is saying, asking, dreaming. All these things I can give are free! I don't have to stress like I've been known to do. The gift of myself can be priceless to the recipient, and I daresay priceless to myself as well. My gift of my time and attention, being fully present, is likely to be the right size and the right color and the right everything for the person to whom I am gifting it. I don't need to wait for a special day or time, any day and time will do, and in fact may be even better than an expected gift!

What can you give from yourself?



No comments:

Post a Comment