Friday, June 19, 2015

“She can’t do that”…or can she?

Don’t you love those moments when you have definitive proof that what you are saying is true? That is exactly what happened to a colleague of mine who is a Training Coordinator at an agency that serves people with developmental disabilities. One day during training, the trainer suggested that we allow people the opportunity to share their dreams and to support them in obtaining their dreams. An audience member stated, “Well, Susie has a dream to work with kids. She can’t do that because she has behaviors.” The Trainer smiled and said, “Well that’s odd. She works in the nursery at my church and takes care of my children every Sunday.”

When we (humans) have the opportunity to do that which makes us feel happy and fulfilled, the ‘behaviors’ seem to slip away. I know that when I am bored, I am more likely to be ‘off task’. When I am on fire with passion and loving what I am doing, I am 100% involved in that activity. We all need meaning, purpose and passion in our lives. That longing inside of us is our purpose and it is unique for each person. It has nothing to do with having a disability; it has to do with being human.

And as for Susie, the only reason ‘she can’t do that’ is because someone made the wrong assumptions about her and had different rules for her because she has a disability. We can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment